Once your home is under contract, or when you are in escrow to buy a home, you’ll find a checklist for moving helpful. Here are some quick to dos.
Checklist for moving before you leave
Give your address change to:
- Post office.
- Charge accounts, Credit Cards.
- Subscriptions: notice requires several weeks.
- Friends and relatives.
At your bank:
- Transfer funds, arrange check cashing in new city.
- Arrange credit references.
Notify company of new location for coverages: Life, Health, Fire and Auto.
- Gas, light, water, telephone, internet, television or video subscriptions, too.
- Get refunds on any deposits made.
Medical, Dental, Prescriptions and Histories
- Transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays.
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
And don’t forget to:
- Defrost your freezer and clean your refrigerator.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs.
- Clean and wrap clothes before moving.
- Check with a Moving Counselor about Insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
- Plan for special car needs if you have an infant.
On moving day
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover the cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in your new town, assuming you are not staying in Silicon Valley.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself, or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting your pets; they are poor traveling companions if they’re unhappy.
- Double-check closets, drawers and shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Leave all the old keys that are needed by the new tenant or owner with your realtor or a neighbor.
At your new address
- Check on service of telephone, gas, electricity and water.
- Check the pilot lights on the stove, water heater, incinerator and furnace.
- Register your car within five days after arrival in your new state or a penalty may have to be paid when you get new license plates.
- Apply for state driver’s license and have your new address place on the license.
- Register your children in school.
- Arrange for medical services, such as Doctors, Dentists, etc.